Mens Health Week is intended to give all boys/men access to the information, services and treatment they need to live healthier, longer and more fulfilling lives. This year’s campaign is focused on raising awareness of men’s mental health in the era of Covid-19 and encouraging men everywhere, to give themselves an MOT.
Statistics on men’s mental health reported by www.mentalhealth.org.uk:
- Men are around half as likely as women to access psychological therapies.
- Men are less likely to speak to family and friends about mental health issues.
- 28% of men don’t seek help for mental health issues, compared to 19% of women.
- 40% of men said that it would take thoughts of suicide or self-harm for them to seek help
- 75% of deaths by suicide in the UK are men.
- Suicide is the most common cause of death for men under 50.
What employers can do to support the Mental Health of it’s male workers
- Creating a safe space to discuss mental health
- Conduct monthly 121s to allow any mental health related problems to be identified early and if required and appropriate, seek consent from the individual to refer to Occupational Health
- Practitioner for an assessment to explore any reasonable adjustments/support
- Ensure employees hours are suitable
- Training for managers and individuals to recognise the signs and symptoms
- Introduce Mental Health First Aiders to the workforce
- Reviewing and implementing employee benefits packages – including Employee Assistance Programmes
- Signposting workers to external support i.e. charities, GPs, network groups
- Encouraging workers to take part in the ‘CAN DO’ challenge by choosing a different way to support wellbeing each day of the week.
1. Connect – connect with other people
2. Active – move your body
3. Notice – take notice of the environment
4. Discover – learn something new
5. Offer – do something for someone else
For more information on Mens Health Week please visit: https://www.menshealthforum.org.uk/mhw
If you would like more information on how you can support employees, or if you need a policy for your organisation, Centric HR can help you. Please contact us through email@example.com.