Intra-company transfer visas

Intra-company transfer visas - Centric HR

New legislation which came into play from 1st January 2021 has changed working visas and certain criteria now has to be met. Intra-Company Transfer Visas are one of these. An Intra-Company visa allows you to come to or stay in the UK to do an eligible job at your employer’s UK branch. The company needs to be registered and hold a licence as a sponsor and the employee must have a sponsorship certificate issued by the company, before the application for the intra company transfer process can begin. Although the applicant is sponsored to work for a UK company and is able to work overseas, their application is not guaranteed.

Intra-Company Transfer visa

You would apply for this visa if you’re being transferred by your employer to a role in the UK and you will need to have worked for your employer overseas for more than 12 months, unless they’re going to pay you £73,900 a year or more to work in the UK. This visa has replaced the Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer) Long-term Staff visa.

Intra-company Graduate Trainee visa

This visa is for transfers to the UK as part of a graduate training programme for a managerial or specialist role and you will need to have worked for your employer overseas for at least 3 months immediately before the date you apply. This visa has replaced the Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer) Graduate Trainee visa.


To qualify for an Intra-Company visa, you must:

  • Be an existing employee of an organisation that’s been approved by the Home Office as a sponsor
  • Have a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from your employer with information about the role you’ve been offered in the UK
  • Do a job that’s on the list of eligible occupations
  • Be paid at least £41,500 for an Intra-company Transfer visa or at least £23,000 for an Intra-company Graduate Trainee visa
  • The specific eligibility requirements depend on your job.

How long you can stay?

How long you can stay in the UK with an Intra-company visa depends on which visa you’re applying for and how long your employer is sponsoring you for. If you’re applying for an Intra-Company Transfer visa you can stay in the UK with an Intra-company Transfer visa for whichever is shorter of:

  • The time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus 14 days
  • -5 years
  • The length of time that takes you to the maximum total stay allowed

The maximum total stay allowed for an Intra-Company Transfer visa is:

  • 5 years in any 6 year period if you’re paid less than £73,900 a year
  • 9 years in any 10 year period if you’re paid £73,900 a year or more

You can extend your visa or apply for another one up to the maximum total stay. If you have already been in the UK with an Intra-Company visa before your application, that time will be included in your total stay.

If you need more information on the Intra-Company Transfer Visa effective from the 1st January 2021, please contact us here.


Like this article?

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Linkdin
Share on Pinterest
Picture of Sandra Berns

Sandra Berns

Centric HR was founded by Sandra Berns, a confident and versatile Human Resources and Organisational Development Practitioner with 25 years demonstrable experience and a Fellow of the CIPD. Sandra has both Operational and Strategic HR expertise across Public and Private sectors and has assisted senior teams in meeting challenging workforce objectives in many corporate environments.