A recent government study has found significant evidence that wellbeing of employees and job performance are directly correlated. So, if your employee turnover is high, you might want to consider looking at the overall employee wellbeing in the organisation to gain key insights.
So, how important is the wellbeing of employees to be productive? The employees’ wellbeing is crucial for the best work to be produced. This benefits your business by:
- Fewer sick days due to the employees having more energy
- Creativity and problem-solving is at the core of the employees mind
- Actively see employees are motivated, with a positive attitude to work
Read on to find out more about the importance of employee wellbeing and the benefits it brings to an organisation.
The importance of employee wellbeing and the productivity it brings
Employee productivity is how efficiently your employees work. Their productivity at work may be affected if their wellbeing is at a low.
Poor employee productivity can be defined as physically being at work, but not working. There are a lot of reasons why employees might have low productivity. Such as:
- They may not know how to use a specific software or a piece of equipment which requires relevant coaching,
- They may be distracted by other employees
- They may not know what they are doing
- They may be tired
- They may have things going on in their personal life.
Even one of these factors is going to contribute to low productivity.
Wellbeing in the workplace is important to any organisation as it brings a better working environment for everyone involved, and showing your employees that you care about wellbeing shows that your business is a good place to work. Everyone wants to feel valued, so if your employees know that the business cares, this will benefit the organisation in multiple ways. Such as:
- Employees having fewer sick days due to having more energy,
- creativity and problem-solving is at the core of the employees mind
- You can actively see employees are motivated, with a positive attitude to work.
GOV UK has carried out research and analysis into the link between worker wellbeing and workplace performance. It tells us:
- How wellbeing in the workplace is measured
- What employee and job characteristics influence employee wellbeing
- What workplace practices have positive impacts
Most importantly, they have provided evidence which links employee wellbeing and business performance.
How to improve employee wellbeing
At Centric HR, we suggest the following to allow your organisation to improve its employee wellbeing:
Identify possible reasons for stress
The reasons for employee stress could be seasonal; are there some parts of the year where the business is more busy than others? Your employees could be finding their responsibilities overwhelming at times. However, stress could be a mixture of an employee’s personal and work life. The importance here is to communicate with your employees to be able to identify what could be causing the stress, and working out a way to come together to make things easier.
Implement employee mental health programs
Mental health programmes in the workplace are a great way for your employees to have a place or person to express how they are feeling whilst also getting help back.
Fun activities to recharge employees
Company social events or team activities when in the office may be a great way to build team relationships and also allow employees to fully relax and enjoy themselves, in order to recharge. This helps businesses increase their employee engagement.
Recognise employees for their hard work
If you can see an employee is doing a great job, let them know. Recognising employee work helps employees see that the company values them.
Employee wellness examples you can follow
Some examples your business can follow to improve employee wellness may include:
- Flexible work/life balance
- Allowing hybrid working
- Promoting fitness and a healthy diet at work, such as a discounted gym membership and free healthy snacks
- Social events
- Giving feedback to employees
- Offering health checks such as eye tests
All these factors will help you towards improving a better employee wellbeing all round.
Improving employee wellness at Centric HR
Centric HR are experienced HR Consultants in Staffordshire and Birmingham. Our team is here to support you with your HR strategies to ensure that your organisation runs successfully with the help of improving employee wellbeing. As well as employee wellness, we can also help you with running employee coaching programmes to support employees in reaching their full potential.